Google keeps changing its algorithm and you need to make modifications to your site so as to par up with the search engine’s modifications. That’s why you need to conduct a website audit every now and then to have insights of your online performance.
Auditing your online portal can be tricky. You have to undergo a series of meticulous inspection ranging from technical to content concerns.
Technical audits deal with “what makes up your website.” They include SSL certification, content management systems (CMS), web responsiveness, and plugins among many others.
Things to remember:
- SSL Certification. See that green HTTPS? It signifies that your website is secure, thereby, having customers trust you for them to make transactions with your business. It also improves Google ranking because people would visit your website more due to it being safe and compliant with search engine laws.
- CMS choice. Did you choose WordPress, Drupal, or Joomla? Whatever it is, your CMS will make content updates easier and consistent. You also have to update your plugins and system to better your chances of protecting your site.
- Website responsiveness. Does your site render to all kinds of devices? More and more people are using their phones and tablets to search the web; therefore, by making your website responsive, prospects can get to engage with you more.
- Plugins. Remember to update and patch plugins in your site in order for it to work well. It fixes annoying bugs and improves the performance of your site. Not to mention, it strengthens security over malware and loose holes.
- Backup of the database. You need to back up your database and complete files of your website or hosting. In the likely experience of an attack or downtime, you can still salvage some of your files. It’s also a very costly experience if your website is down for 4 to 8 weeks. Can you afford that?
Content and On-Page SEO Audit
No website is ever complete without content. To ensure optimal results for your text-based page, a content and SEO audit is necessary to further improve your site performance. Content is also one way to earn traffic and customers.
Things to remember:
- Clear and organized content. What content are you using? Is it a blog or multimedia content? No matter what it is, it should be clear and easily comprehended by the user.
- Helpful. It’s understandable that you need to write or make posts solely about your product, but that can turn to pretty boring. You need to make content relevant to the industry and helpful to your readers as well. You can make how-to’s, listicles, or product reviews too.
- Article content better at 1,000 words. There’s no exact amount of words to a blog post, but digital marketers swear that having content worth 1,000 words is more engaging to customers.
- Keywords. Do you use keywords in your article? Does the site have a relevant number of them in your piece? Most people suggest using KWs about 1% of the article, while others accept to having 3% to 5%.
- Meta and tags. Applying the necessary tags and descriptions will help boost SEO rankings and visibility. This also includes the use of headings and the alt txt for images embedded in the article.
Off-Page SEO Audit
Off-page SEO audits are activities you do outside your website to alter search engine rankings. This consists of link building, social media marketing, or business directories listings.
Things to remember:
- Link building. If you have enough referring links and backlinks to your website, it can boost your SEO. However, you should take note of the links you made whether they be spammy or not because search engines might penalize you for it.
- Social Media Marketing. The more you share your content on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, the more people will follow your site. If it’s getting traffic and mentions, Google will place you higher in SERPs.
- Blogger and influencer reaching. Reaching out to influencers serves as a marketing tactic to grow your brand. People are more prone to buy products that have been recommended by people they trust. Just make sure your influencers are not buying fake followers.
These are some website audits you can do to your site. It’s considered as a time-consuming matter, but it’s worth it in the end. If you need help in conducting a website audit, feel free to contact us today!